Thursday, November 22, 2012

Passing Days

I was feeling kind of guilty just writing about our day to day, not so unusual adventures.  I mean, even I thought that we'd have a lot more to report from day to day and I found myself wondering why we left as early as we did.  With the weather being so dreary, it's been really hard to connect with other cruising boats in the area, people tend to huddle and stay close when being outside is no fun.

So as the days passed, I had to keep reminding myself that these days are in fact exactly what I need to learn about life's journey.  I have been being sure to take advantage of and appreciate small treats that we find along the way.  Things like a magnificent sunset or the sparkling lights of the city from our position on the water.  Finding a painting in a store here that grabs me unlike any I've seen in years.  The sun peaking through the clouds, even if it's for just a short time.  Stopping for a coffee at a sunny outdoor cafe.


We have had a couple of real treasure in the past few days, the first being an event celebrating the 450th anniversary of St. Augustine.  Did you know that St. Augustine is the oldest city in the USA?  It's been continually occupied since 1565!   They have begun a four year celebration of the anniversary this year and there are a lot of fun, informative and creative events planned.




We caught one of the first ones which was a "MYTH BUSTER" night of St. Augustine history where local re-enactors participated in a Hollywood Squares game with history trivia.  The mayor was the game show host and the contestants were from the audience.  The costumes were authentic and well done and the actors were spot on!  It was absolutely hilarious with the mayor being quite a character - a natural it appeared for the role of MC.




Later that night I talked Rob into taking me dancing.  I had found a local bar that had a swing dance lesson and dancing so we headed out and after walking further than either of us expected, found a funny, local bar (Mardi Gras Sports Bar) with the local "Arthur Murray" dance crowd dancing their hearts out.  We seem to have found our own dance style in the past few years and got in a couple of good dances, a totally unexpected change of pace and a great night.




Yesterday dawned sunny and beautiful and we spent it almost entirely preparing for today's holiday.  We went to a craft store for a few supplies for me, did an errand or two for Rob's preparation for the boat yard next week, hit the grocery store for our Thanksgiving chicken and the fixings, and then home to warm the boat up as the wind picked back up again.

I've been reminded all week that Thanksgiving isn't just for one day a year - it's one day that serves as a reminder that EVERY day is for being thankful!






No comments:

Post a Comment