Sunday, November 1, 2020

THE SCENIC DRIVE Sept 19

I even wonder myself if I’m obsessive!  I spend so many hours each day poring over maps and apps to find our next campsite, trail possibilities and travel plan!  I swear it borders on irrational!  My father loved all things directional – any time we were anywhere he would stop and determine which way was which.  And specifically!  West, northwest or whatever!  Anyway, I give him credit for my love of maps – but I’m not going to blame him for the obsessive part!

I had found this scenic drive through the Ozarks and had my mind set on finding a way to drive it without going too far our of our way.  All for naught, on our exit from the state park, our path didn’t accommodate and all my lusting over “scenic highway 1” was left behind for a nearby route through the mountains and finally into Arkansas.  We had hoped to get to Hot Springs National Park but knew we’d have a tough go of it on the weekend so picked an Army Corp property just 20 miles away or so.

With Rob’s senior pass (a proverbial gold mine, all you folks over 60!!) we get a 50% discount at any national property – this included national parks, army corp properties, national forests, BLM land – you name it!  We had headed out early in hopes of catching the National Park site so we arrived well ahead of normal check in but landed a wonderful site in the Arlie Moore campground and wasted no time getting settled. 

With a lovely lake surrounded by rolling hills, there was ample room to spread out.  We hiked the interpretive trail and enjoyed all of the facts posted along the way.  I have a new appreciation for the loblolly pine tree for one!  We also checked out a few of the other campsite loops before returning to ours.  With a lot of dead wood around, we easily gathered all sizes to build a nice fire for the night, always a highlight for me.

That evening we also learned of the passing of our dear friend Sue who had been battling lung cancer for many years.   She’s the one we waved to through the walls at the cancer center just a week before.  Bob called with the news.  There’s not much that can be said.  Another warrior gone.  But we were glad she didn’t suffer and are proud to have called her a friend.  We raised a glass in her as the campfire burned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment