Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Park Days 01/29/13

 After our fiasco with the internet, we realized we were in the middle of nowhere and really had few options.  We relaxed with it (we had no choice!) and tried to make the best of the time we had in this remote island paradise. 

The end of our time in Warderick was spent snorkeling and exploring.  We hiked up to BooBoo Hill again, leaving our own mark of a piece of driftwood we decorated on site.  We also spent the afternoon snorkeling, enjoying the amazing landscape of underwater treasures right off of our boat.

After our snorkeling adventure, shared with Matt aboard Patty D, I took the opportunity to learn the fine art of pie crust making with Matt’s wife, Patty.  First, Matt hauled Rob up the mast to take care of the latest repair needs and then Patty and I retired to the galley for my lesson.  I created my first ever homemade pie crust, filled with my ever popular derby pie filling, never a disappointment.
Saturday evenings are supposed to be “happy hour” gatherings on the beach.  With the storm the previous evening, it didn’t happen so “Polar Pacer” took up the torch and invited all boats in the park to an impromptu gathering on Sunday instead.  We enjoyed meeting lots of the other cruisers in the area and look forward to seeing many of them further “down the line”. 
That night I managed to drop my favorite sunglasses overboard as we were climbing into the boat!  Our son, Matt, and his girlfriend, Danyelle, had given them to me as a gift and they’re near and dear to me.  When they fell in, I immediately panicked but then remembered where we were and decided to “let it go” until the following morning when I would snorkel and find them in the surrounding crystal clear water.

The next morning dawned early and we prepared for our exit from Warderick Wells mooring field.  My first thought was retrieving my special glasses and I sported my snorkeling gear and headed off the side of the boat.  After about ½ hour of extensive searching, I saw them in a 12 foot “whole” not far from our position and dove down to retrieve them.  SUCCESS!!!! 

After my accomplishment, I felt ready to move on and we made our way easily, sailing down the 12 miles or so to the next anchorage off Bell Island, still in the Exuma Park

We decided to anchor instead of taking a mooring ball and ended up being completely alone off of a private island of someone with an obvious fortune.  Johnny Depp owns the island just north of there with his yacht anchored nearby flying the pirate flag with the red sparrow in the corner!  The beach was pristine and had all the amenities and several times a helicopter landed on the nearby helipad delivering visitors to and fro.  The Bahamas sure are a
The big treat for the day was to go snorkeling in an area called the Sea Aquarium there.  We had heard many stories about this little treasure and were determined to experience it for ourselves.  The following pictures tell the story . . . there were just SO many fish!  They were everywhere and seemed to think we were one of their kind – swimming right into our masks as though saying hello personally!  It was an amazing experience and well worth the sidetrip we made to see it!
Today we left that anchorage and had a nice, leisurely sail down to the Black Point Settlement.  We’ve heard a lot about this area and we’re not disappointed.  In this one afternoon I swear I’ve met most of the population of the island from each of the little store owners to the restaurantuers.  I’ve met the bread baker and ordered a loaf, the little grocery store owner and bought a head of cabbage and some celery, the laudromat owner and had a piece of her infamous $1 per slice carrot cake as well as numerous other characters.

We went to the local happy hour and had rum punch and popcorn and have returned to Moonshadow satiated and happy.  Ah – now THIS is what I’ve been waiting for!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment